Friday, August 01, 2014

Dispatches from Lecco: En Route

This series publishes updates from Scandal - Washington, DC's elite women's ultimate team - competing at the World Ultimate Club Championships in Lecco, Italy.

From Sarah Itoh (#4, DC Scandal)

Since it was a late night, this morning was rough. My flight was scheduled to take off from DCA at 6 AM so I got up at 4 AM to make sure I had everything I needed. My roommate, the amazing soul that she is, then gave me a lift to the airport. Thanks Kim! (Maybe I can bring her back a nice Italian man...)

I've been laying on the floor at JFK to pass the time. Thankfully, the flight from DC to New York only took about 40 minutes, but I have to admit, I get a little travel stress. After being in a tiny aluminum can at 17,000 feet, and one that the pilot so cheerfully stated on the overhead speaker as, "belonging to the island of misfit planes,"...I needed to decompress a little.

So, here's to an 11 hour layover! Not ideal, but I tried to save some money.

P.S. During plyos, our team keeps an eye out for four-leaf clovers. Opi is the best at finding them. If she put her mind to it, she could probably pull one from a turf field. I haven't been as fortunate this season, but guess what? I finally found one!
Sarah Itoh finally found a four-leaf clover.
Could it be a sign of things to come?!

No comments: