Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fuming

nasbeeFrisbee Injuries are Funny [NtW 9.6.09]

HAMPTON, Ga. – The first reaction when the NASCAR community heard that Carl Edwards had broken his foot was surprise. And concern. Then the circumstances kicked in.

Edwards spends his time outside his No. 99 Ford on crutches. Inside it, he insists he’s, well, not exactly fine, but capable of
competing in tonight’s Pep Boys Auto 500.

Now, of course, everyone is a comedian. Other drivers yell, “Hey, Carl, how about a game of Frisbee?”

One of Edwards’ teammates, Greg Biffle, said, “I was talking to Matt (Kenseth) or Jamie (McMurray) and I said, ‘At least he could say he was playing rugby or football or scaling a mountain or something,’ but playing Frisbee?’ It’s fun to joke about, I guess.”

No one doubts Edwards. Who would make up a story about the injury occurring while throwing a Frisbee with friends? Almost anything – being bucked off a horse, a pickup game of basketball or a hunting accident – would play better than a game of Frisbee. Yes, Edwards is sheepish.

“I’ve had a lot of people ask me if I want to go play Frisbee,” he says. “I don’t want to go play Frisbee right now.

“Frisbee is not four letters, but it’s an ‘F’ word, for sure.”

No comments: